Monday, April 4, 2011

Pear Cake to Delicious Truffles ... (vegan)

I had this 2 pears on the counter that were too done (soft) to be eaten alone. I am very bad at using all the fruits that I buy at time. It is so tempting at the store, it smells good. it looks good, and I end up buying too much. But I hate throwing away food so I had to come up with an idea to use these very mature pears.

The first thing I thought when I saw those pears, is to dip them into chocolate :) yummyyyyy.. but they were too soft :( I had to find an alternative !

Why not make a pear cake and with the crumble of the cake make truffles ? perfect I will have the pear flavor and my chocolate craving satisfied :)

Alternative found : Pear Cake Truffles ...


Pear Cake
one loaf pan

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt

1/3 cup dairy-free butter (earth balance)
1/2 light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer (mixed with 2 tbsp rice milk)
1/4 cup rice milk

2 pears 
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
In a bowl mix the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
In the mixer , cream the butter for 1 minute. Then add the brown sugar and beat well.

In the mean time put the pears cut in pieces in a food processor with the lemon juice, pulse 6 times (it should be like a puree with mini pieces, but not too liquid). Add the cinnamon powder and fold into the pear puree with a spatula. Set aside.

The butter and sugar should be well combined by now :) add the egg replacer mixture and mix well. Then add the pear puree one spoon at a time.

Alternatively add the flour mix and the rice milk. The batter will become smooth  when ready.
Pour the batter in a "greased" loaf pan , smooth the surface with a spatula.

After 35 min, insert a knife in the cake , if it comes out clean, it is ready, otherwise bake for 5 more minutes and check again.

When ready, transfer the cake on a cooling rack. Let it cool completely.

Follow next blog post to turn your Pear cake into Truffles :)







No comments:

Post a Comment